Friday 15 February 2013

Nurturing Hobbies

I'm a girl who likes to try new hobbies, I don't always keep them up, but I'm always on the lookout for the next thing. I recently tried knitting, and I think it is going to stick. It is a great way to quiet my mind when I can't sleep. But now that we are stuck in the middle of winter I'm looking forward to spring. Last year I started container gardening and I'm excited to get going again. But I've been playing around on Pinterest and I have a new project to start.

Behold the beginning of my avocado orchard.


I love avocados and I have started saving the pits. Apparently you can grow an avocado tree. I don't have much of a green thumb but I figure it's worth a shot. Being dis-functional means I spend a lot of time worrying about things. I find planting things soothing. It's nice to see something you put your time and energy into flourish. It's hard when things don't go well, and your plants die, but life is full of ups and downs. But when things are going well, and you are able to give life to a nurture a living creature, no matter how small it makes you feel good. You feel needed, strong, and capable. These feelings are rare for a dis-functional.

My green thumb is sometimes more gangrenous than green.
I don't have a perfect track record with plants, but I try real hard. And I'm hopeful. Maybe I will find a new skill. Maybe I will be the first avocado farmer in Canada. Or I can always go back to knitting scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment