Sunday 6 January 2013

Suck It Up Buttercup!

The new year healthy eating blues are common I think. I can't be the only one coming off a holiday sugar rush disappointed that now I am expected to subsist on things that are nutritious and good for me. What sane person would choose kale salad and carrot juice over sugar cookies and cheesecake? It is especially hard to work on healthy eating habits when you have a history of eating disorders. I want to get healthy, not make myself sick, again...

Well it's time to just suck it up and change for the better. I know smoothies don't really count as trying new recipes but one of the times I struggle to eat well is at breakfast and smoothies work for me. I can whip one up in seconds and drink it in the car or at my desk. Heck, if I am really on the ball I can get the coffee going and have caffeine with my smoothie. That way I will be energized and full of vitamins without ever having to wake up enough to chew.

I used to actually be quite athletic back in university. But sadly I was also bulimic and depressed, and I don't want to get in better shape by resorting to dangerous methods. I know how hard I have to work to get back to being in a healthy shape, and drinking a smoothie will be the easy part. Time to quit complaining and just eat better because I know it will make me feel better. Cheesecake might make me happy while I'm eating it but as soon as it's gone I feel like crap. I felt like crap more than enough last year, this will be the year of feeling good.

Last year I was put on meds that have had a huge impact on my ability to control my binging and purging. Now that I am able to eat a slice of cake and not feel the overwhelming, terrifying urge to eat the whole thing then purge I want to work on eating nutritious foods that will help me. I have been reading books on how eating clean can improve depression and I want to give it a shot. I don't want to have to rely on meds forever.

So Time to suck it up buttercup!


No comments:

Post a Comment